Friday, October 17, 2008

Photoperiodism

Yesterday afternoon I suddenly went into Advent drive. Advent is the ecclesiastical season of preparing for Christmas, but for anyone who makes Advent calendars there's also a preparation for the preparation. Fourteen years after I told my mother I didn't believe in Jesus anymore, the cycle of the liturgical year is still pretty strongly in my system.

At some point I looked out the window and realized why I suddenly had the need to sketch out Advent calendars. It was a cloudy day, so at four in the afternoon it was dark outside. It's not really winter yet. I'm just like one of those birds that gets bamboozled into migrating at the wrong time by a shift in daylight. If scientists wanted to, they could probably trick me into starting in July by covering up my windows with dark sheets every afternoon.

No comments: